Sunday, June 28, 2009

Favourite Poem

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Hyperbole:The usage of O God! shows his grief and is repeated twice.
Personification:None i can see
Metaphor:The usage of flown away is to describe having lost.
Simile:None i can see
Symbolsism:The dream is a symbolism in this poem as the dream refers to the author's days with his/her lover and the sands are like what dreams are,just dreams.It is a close to reality but just a desire,thus the author describes it as few and wants to have a tighter clasp.The pitiless wave is a symbolism of the sadness that comes when something is claimed from you.The surf tormented shore represents the cruelty of reality.


(The above may not be correct as it is my perception only.)


Why I like this poem:The author first starts with how he loses his loved and then describes his days with his/her lover as a dream.The author also mentions 'All that we seem or seem'which emphasizes on how much they perceive is really true.The author then expertly depicts the scene whereby a person who has dreamed but is roughly pulled back by reality.He is sorrow and hopes for his loved one to come back but he knows that even this itself is wishful thinking,a dream within a dream.This whole poem is pieced together very well and it rhymes perfectly.It is abstract yet understandable in a certain sense.The poem is well desribed and there are many symbolisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment