Thirdly,the inability to make wise and careful decisions.David may have thought that it was the end when he was rejected of his scholarship and committed suicide.However,if he were more wise,he would have thought about his future and how his parents would feel if their son were to do such a thing.Such thoughts are usually pushed aside when people reach the adolescent stage,whereby they are more decisive when taking action.This decisiveness of teenagers may not work to their advantage however as their actions may be rash and damaging to others.Schools should teach students how to think in a way which all aspects are covered.The schools must teach their students about Win-Win thinking.Let's say if I wanted to rob a bank today and I thought,why should I rob the bank? What are the benefits?What are the disadvantages?What would be the consequences?What would my parents say or feel about me if I did this?Why rob the bank and not the national treasury?What use would the money be of?Is going to jail a trivial matter?I have an endless number of questions to ask myself before I rob a bank.A phrase my Mathematics teacher would always say,"THINK BEFORE YOU DO!".
Lastly,the inability to express his troubles to others.If he were to tell his teachers or his school counselor about his problems,they would surely help him.There is always help given to those who ask for it so why not ask for help when you are in trouble?Again I would want to express this in a student's point of view.A student who gets help from teachers or counselors are often regarded as "weak" and not have many friends.As I have said earlier,these students are suffering from peer pressure.The students must not think that asking for help is a sign of weakness.
Acknowledgements:http://wayangparty.com/?tag=ntu-prof-stabbed for the information provided about this case.
This blog is not criticising David Widjaja and whatever is coincidental and not intentional
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you that David should have thought before committing suicide and even killing his own dear teacher. However, you might consider this: He was so troubled about his scholarship, how then, could he think think properly? Consider putting yourself into his shoes. He definitely could not relate his troubles to others as he was already too stressed. How could such a stress person relate his troubles or even happiness to others? He would definitely become a hermit, not a sociable person who can share his thoughts with other people. Nevertheless, your four blog posts about NTU incident was enriching.
ReplyDelete-Joshua
I agree with you saying that David should have considered the consequences of committing suicide before he actually killed himself. He was recently troubled as he had lost his scholarship, but there is no reason why he cannot think clearly. He is addicted to WOW, cannot concentrate on studying, loses his scholarship and he should work harder to get another one, instead he chose to stab his professor, a person who is helping him not hurting him. Like what the author said, if he knew he could not cope with the loss of a scholarship, he should seek a professional to help him overcome his difficulties. Therefore, he should think before he act.
ReplyDelete