Tuesday, February 3, 2009

CNY Preparations



The few weeks before Chinese New Year is always a busy time for me. I would have to help in the cleaning and the chores as my parents are always busy. The decorations put up by me(aided by my father of course) are as shown in the pictures shown here.

I have put in great effort to touch up my house like this. Also, I would always have to polish an enormous number of antiques and display items to please my dad. I had to go to sleep with the smell of the polish all over my hands. I would also need to help my father prepare food items and the drinks for the guests.
The Chinese believe that on Chinese New Year Eve, the children should stay up late to 寿睡
On the first day of CNY, there were 40+ people at my house at 4 p.m. I had to entertain all of them until 3 a.m. On the second day, I had to wake up at 8 a.m to help my father prepare the "raw fish salad"(known as 鱼生 in chinese)! After that, we set off for various relative's houses to visit them. I also had the chance to "lo hei"( the meaning of this cantonese word is to mix the "raw fish salad" to bring good luck. ) After all the fun and festivities on Wednesday, I had to finish 6 days worth of homework in a day! I was so relieved when I finished the last piece of my homework and immediately hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment